Monday, March 18, 2013

Sarah Macdonald: Traveler or Tourist?


The book Holy Cow was written by Sarah Macdonald in 2004. It relates her story and her adventures throughout India and the different journeys in religion she faced over there. It’s about new things she found within herself, her love life and even some internal journeys.
I strongly believed that Macdonald was a traveler in all of her aspects until I started to read more and more and realized otherwise. She has a little bit of both mixed in her personality because she can be traveling but then have characteristics of a tourist. That’s why I finally decided she was neither a tourist nor a traveler but a mix of both.
In chapter 11 she says: “…but Passover comes but once a year and I figure I may never be invited to such an event again. Being able to take up such opportunities is one of the great privileges of not working-I love not having plans. In Sydney at our wedding people kept asking me “what do you do all day in India?” I felt almost embarrassed saying, “traveling”, as it’s not something valued much in my homeland. But I’m growing increasingly happy with my choice to go with the flow in life. It’s liberating and exciting.”  Page 190.
It definitely shows how she loves to be a traveler and that feeling excites her.  This is something that I noticed because she constantly expressed characteristics and didn’t care about trying out for new experiences while she traveled. It’s expressed when in this chapter she goes to a ritual named Seder that means order and that things must go in order. During the festival they begin with prayers and also they chant, one of the funny aspects of this part is that she criticizes that the “wine” was just grape fruit for those traveling with a backpack (herself). During this ritual she was trying to see how the Jews were different than the Israeli and compare both of the religions.  I strongly thought that if I was there I would have done the same. 
As I continued to read the chapter I realized that all of her experiences were just the ones of a traveler. When she was getting on a plane and it was having turbulence, she was having difficulties and didn’t know if she should pray, be a Buddhist and meditate or be a Jew. So she was having a lot of difficulties with Christianity, Buddhist or the Jew religion. This is what surprised me because she went and had the experience of a traveler by trying all the religions but after all she claimed her roots by not knowing if she should pray  to Christ. Exactly what a traveler does, he or she will try a new experience but then he/she will decide to stick to it or not.  
Other comments that made me think she was a traveler were some like these:
I’ve always wanted to check out a Jewish feast” page 189
“ ..I’ve even claimed Mount Sinai in Egypt were God came to Moses and told him he must free his people from slavery. Egypt didn’t let me go without putting the plague on me and clinical depression on my friend, but when it wouldn’t let the Jews go, God came to the rescue.” Page 189

Sarah also says “Shanti is Indian for ‘peace’. I find India anything but shanty-in fact I find it loud, intrusive, brash, impatient and confronting.” P 186
            When I asked things about the people about India they normally say “they are dirty and don’t shower much” or simply “I don’t like it”. When I read the comment that she said I thought, “there it goes”, she has a bit of tourist in herself. By saying that she doesn’t find India at all peaceful I believe that she is like all of the other tourists, or in my case friends that think like this. I would’ve thought that she would be the exception and found India more beautiful and unique in its own way after she went there but she said this and is a tourist without doubt because tourists just want the good experience and doesn’t want to see the bad parts about the country they’re visiting.
Irit and I define Wonderland differently. To her and her friends, India is a theme park of cheap thrills and easy drugs away from a country constantly at war with itself. India has cost me dearly in terms of health and hair and I’m still a confused Alice-child constantly confronted by creatures beyond my comprehension.”  P 186
After talking to a friend of her and comparing both of her nationalities she said this comment. Irit is an Israeli that just got out of her country after serving in the military and she went to India to find an escape. She told Macdonald “I think India is like Wonderland to me”. But Macdonald thinks otherwise and that’s why she comments that way. With this comment I came to the conclusion that she was a tourist again. How can someone that wants to be a traveler say things like this? She explains that it cost her things in her health and hair is just a tourist that wants to explore the good things and left out the bad things that have happened to her in her life; she just want to explore the country and forget about all of her bad experiences.
I think I’m a bit like Sarah after all. Sometimes I just want to be a traveler and other times a tourist. This happened when I visited the United States and Canada last semester. I explored it with the mentality of both.
            When my family members wanted me to go to a new place I would ask: “Is it clean? How is it? What will we do there?”  And depending on their answers I decided if I wanted to go or not. Others I just simply went to the places that the entire tourist went to, for example the Niagara Falls in Canada. This made me be the classical tourist all of the residents criticize.
But to my credit sometimes I didn’t even ask and I just lead them there. When we were in Florida I ask to go to a mall and just lost myself in the crowds. The Americans looked at me as if I were a teenager. I tasted the different shakes, compared the prices to Puerto Rico and even went to the bathrooms over there. I could compare both cultures my simply visiting a place that was so different from the ones I’m used to. What I have to say is that I was a traveler here because I was willing to explore the culture without any judgment in me.
When I compare Sarah and me I can say that we both are a little bit of a mix. We can explore new things and be open-minded about it but then have characteristics of a tourist within ourselves. It’s funny how someone completely different from me can share a little thing with me. After all being a little bit of both is what’s more important, “in the variety is the spice of life”.

No comments:

Post a Comment