Monday, April 22, 2013

Daisy Miller

     As I started to know about Daisy Miller I really had interest in reading it. I was really fascinated because of the fact that it was a really old novel about social classes. I love all of the novels and topics that involve old  times and conflicts about classes, and Daisy Miller filled exactly that description.

    Daisy Miller is a novel written by Henry James in 1878 and it relates the story of the american by the same  name. When her father becomes rich, he wants to incorporate Daisy to the society by showing her new manners and the way they work. When she is introduced to Frederick Waterborne by her brother, they both start to have interest in each other.  Although the aunt of Frederick disapproves of Daisy, he still tries to pursue her. When they are separated because of a travel of him, both of them agree to meet later in Rome.

   When they meet by chance in Rome, Daisy has more values than before and is rumored to be going out with an Italian named Giovanelli. He's not accepted as acceptable because he's from an inferior class. After Winterbourne hears of this "romance" he tries to pursue Daisy of leaving him but she refuses. After all of this,the tension keeps going on. Daisy one night is with Giovanelli at the Colosseum and Frederick sees them. He immediately starts to questions what is he doing in a place that can cause her the Roman Fever. She tells him that she doesn't care and he leaves without further ado. After a few days Daisy falls really ill with the fever and this causes her death.

   This novel was really well written and had quite a few intense topics. Daisy is the representation of how the society tries to break persons apart based on their social status or personalities. The novel had a lot of judgement based on appearance or what the people thought, without it being the reality. This is what caused that the love of Winterbourne and Daisy could not happen, because of the social differences and the misunderstandings that the people had of Daisy. I believe that she was really misunderstood by the others and if she was part of the present, all of her actions would be considered normal . I really think that she was in the wrong time of the world, she should have been born in the 21 century because then she would've fit perfectly.

   The novel was really exceptional and I think that if any of my friends read it they will fall in love as I did with Giovanelli. I really hated all of the judgement that the people had based only on appearances  I think that I would have been really misunderstood in those times if I was there, or I wouldn't care at all what others thought.  I felt as if this was the love of Romeo and Juliet but with a more tragic love story because the love is never consummated (they don't get married).

No comments:

Post a Comment