Monday, February 11, 2013

Reaction to Chapter 8 (Helping) by Jim Cooper

" The leaders of these groups were usually students who had been to private schools or studied in the States" said by Jim Cooper in Down on the Island page 79 Chapter 8. This is in reference of one of his ideas to implement the English and fix its problems. He tried to reorganize the students to take a test and those who failed also failed the course. The students started to study and also gather together in groups to start learning something new.  His ideas didn't had an immediate effect but the students started to take the English seriously.

 I loved what he said in the chapter 8 (Helping) because it shows how people from other places wanted to start making improvements on the Island and weren't like Dr. Beckwith that he didn't care at all.  This small step started a new change that lead us to what we have today; a better learning in both English and Spanish. This has opened a lot of doors and understanding in not only a language but in both. 

    I know that thanks to the knowledge I have a lot of opportunities have occurred to me. For example when I traveled to the United States I was able to communicate with the other people without problem and helped my family that don't know a lot of English. Without this it wouldn't have been the same, don't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment